Neuwerk book and music shop
The Neuwerk bookshop joined Bärenreiter as early as 1929. It was a book shop with mailorder facilities and also handled the distribution of journals and subscriptions. This shop was situated in the Neuwerk-Haus, Steinweg, very close to the Palais Bellevue (now the Museum of the Brothers Grimm), which was destroyed by bombs during World War II. Karl Vötterle bought collections of books throughout the war, particularly in the area of music and musicology, and sold these to libraries and private individuals. After the war, this second-hand bookselling business formed the basis for rebuilding the company.
Using the antiquarian bookshop as a basis, a retail bookshop was re-established on the ground floor of the new Bärenreiter premises in the Heinrich-Schütz-Allee, Kassel, and the range of editions was expanded to include printed music from Bärenreiter as well as other publishers. Because the location in the publishing house was not good for walk-in customers, Neuwerk moved to the Obere Karlsstraße (in the centre of Kassel) in 1999. This move did not prove to be as successful as anticipated, so the shop was closed in 2004.
A successful mail-order business still exists.